It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to duckcallsonline

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: 10 Top Duck Call Makers For A Great Collection!!
Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:20 pm 

Top 10 call makers for a great collection!!! Notice I said call makers, not calls. The reason for this is that one or two possibly fill most of the top ten slots. Also, keep in mind that tastes vary from region to region and people have different opinions. Yes, I know, many will look and say that so and so should be listed. Billy Burke, Tom May, or G. D. Kenny, could make the top call list due to rarity as well as quality. But, it's my list and I arrived at this with my pursuit of calls over the last twenty plus years of collecting. The calls listed below can be obtained today with some effort. These calls have been marketed well and are desired by those trying to collect what's considered the best of the best.

1. Perry Hooker - carved
2. J. T. Beckhart - carved
3. Victor Glodo - checkered
4. J. E. Cochran - checkered
5. Ira Ferguson - checkered
6. Kenny Harlow - carved
7. Tom Turpin - inlay/checkered
8. John Jolly - carved
9. Charles Perdew - crown carved
10. Clifford - brick laminated

There are hundreds of great collectible calls out there in addition to this list. Shown above are some great anchor calls towards building a strong collection. Owning just one or two of these gets you on a good start.

I have spent a great deal of time contemplating this list on a challenge from a good friend of mine and had fun doing it. Try it yourself. This list would be a good starter list for a new/serious collector who wants to build a fine duck call collection.

If you're a true collector, once you own one your focus tends to change to the next call you want to own. Enjoy what you get.

In closing, remember its only my opinion and the reasoning behind my choice of the listed makers above would be promotion, history/knowledge of the maker, age/time period, originality/innovation, and availability.

I challenge each of you to assemble a list like this using your knowledge towards calls you've been exposed to. It's a fun exercise and I promise you that if you file the list away, the next time you try, it, it won't be the same!!

Post subject: Re: The 10 Top Call For A Great Collection!!
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:13 pm 

Duck Tracker asked about where Dennison ranked in my list? - old forum stuff

Dennison? That is a good question. There are a lot of calls I put above them for one reason or another. As Tennessee goes Earl plays an important role. He is like Turpin in many ways. Nationally known, made lots of calls, has some that are rare. Many of his calls have survived and In collections. A person could collect only Dennison's and have a great collection. One of my good friends built an incredible collection of the family calls.
Dennison makes my top twenty Tennessee call list but not the top list of calls in the country. There history is great. If ya wanted, you could find about a dozen different labels in their calls to collect. Or you could build a collection of fakes that would be about forty strong. Made calls for collectors who asked about different makers from the area like Turpin's, Marsh calls, (spelled marsh wrong on his calls) NO White, Shaw's and many others. I like the calls and they sound good too. When I get a minute I'll add my favorite Tennessee call list. I had fun putting the list together. It's all just an opinion remember.

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:48 am 

Great list Mark.
I hope one day to have one from every maker there.

James

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:20 pm 

OldCalls-

I will take issue with your top 10 list as a Goose Call collector (I don't know that I've ever seen a goose call by any of the gentlemen you have listed (one time I was sold what was claimed to be a Turpin goose call but it proved to be a duck call...that's another story).

Not to put too fine a point on it perhaps it would be better to entitle your list," Top 10 Duck Call makers"?

If you were to list the "Top 10 Goose makers" how would it read?

Post subject: Re: 10 Top Duck Call Makers For A Great Collection!!
Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:41 pm 

G K Chambers -

Good point, please notice the change :oops: - missed that but did expect some flack on the subject.....

This is exactly what the site is for - new ideas, different subjects, knowledge from other collectors on other subjects and collectibles.

I'll take a lame stab at it but I'm not that good on goose calls - I will ask that you share your list after I post mine so I can learn from fellow collectors about goose calls. The way I see it, I should try for a list of past and present makers. KEEP IN MIND THIS IS NOT MY FORTE;

Past ( in no specific order )

1. Ken Martin -Lemont, IL.
2. John Yasgar - Horicon Marsh, WI.
3. David Fuller's combination duck and goose call - Chicago, IL.
4. Carved goose head call sold at auction several years ago ???
5. Charles Grubbs combination duck and goose - Chicago, IL.
6. Herters Metal Plate Goose Call -
7. C.H. Ditto combo duck and goose - Keithsburg, IL.
8. Irvin Redshaw - Grainville, IL.
9. Aubry Headdon Goose - Newbern, TN.
10. H.E. Dieckman Champ Goose Call - Vandalia, IL.
11. Carved and Checkered Magnum Goose - Pekin, IL.
12. Amon Reedy - Troy, TN.

Present ( in no specific order and missing many )

1. Jacob Friend
2. Glen Skip Campbell
3. Sean Mann
4. Troy Taylor
5. Bob Hayes Specklebelly
6. Jeff Foils
7. Ferd Zink
8. Knight n Hale
9. Herb Ohley
10. Jerry Weatherford
11. Ron Dowda
12. Glenn Scoby

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:22 pm 

Fair enough though three of your top 12 GOOSE Calls are combination duck and goose calls. :lol:

I figure you duck call guys have a hard time letting go.

What would your list of contemporary top 10 duck calls look like? The names I recognize on your current top 10 are all passed on.

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:54 am 

So ----- G K Chambers

Oh - one of those kind :!: :!: :!: :? Where is your list - I showed you mine?

I plan on putting some more lists like these on, it just takes me a little bit to get movin.....

p.s. you asked for 10, I gave ya 9........ :twisted: I owe you one to make 10...... Cub Creek - Ripp Fanning

- please show your list so I can learn.....

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:46 am 

Ripp Fanning huh?
:D 8-)

I hadn't forgot about you OldCalls I just needed a few days to gather my thoughts and spend some time with the references and calls to sort it out. A top 10 is not that easy if you give much thought to it....I don't know that a top 25 would be that much easier to squeeze in. A top 50 (or 100) would give much more wiggle room to avoid a sense that you had left something out.

My template is a bit different from yours and I would respectfully describe it as more historical than aesthetic. My sense is that goose hunting, goose hunters, and goose calls have been much less common and refined and much more blue collar and rough than their duck chasing counterparts. My choices tend to reflect that and my picks are more likely to be in the reach of your average collector.

No combination calls on my list.....that should be another list on it's own. IMO.

My Top 10 (or is it 12? or 20?) Goose Calls For a Great Collection

1. David Fuller's Goose & Crane Call (both sizes..NIB with instructions if possible)
2. The "Goose Honker" Goose Box Call (earliest advertised goose box call....goose box calls alone can make for an interesting collection)
3. Herter's #273 & #277 Goose Calls
4. Ken Martin (complete set: Lemont, Idaho Falls, Salmon, Olive Branch)
5. Early Olt A-50.....world logo preferred
6. Knight & Hale WOODEN goose tube call
7. Charlie Hess Goose Call.....a corncob one was the coolest I've seen
8. Frank A.Heidelbaugher Goose Call (dated 1950's)
9. Emory Mitchell Iverson Goose Call (checkered)
10. Olt A-5 Goose Call(one piece)
11. Seann Man Eastern Shoreman (1980's vintage)
12. Wendall Carlson Goose Call

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:33 pm 

How can you possibly talk about the top 10 goose call makers of all time without the name Hess in the conversation. Inventor of the Short Reed Goose call. Pretty darn significant, not to mention his calls were just gorgeous. Have to agree that Ken Martin has to be up there, although he did make a ton of calls from what I have read.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]